Life Amplified

Change of Use/Owner Application

The Village of Tinley Park is here to assist you in the leasing and/or purchasing of commercial space or property. Please review the recap then complete and submit the application below to begin the process. Please submit applications and payment to the Building Division at Tinley Park Village Hall, 16250 S. Oak Park Ave.

Contact the Economic Development Division regarding potential benefits
Your business may be eligible for special economic development benefits or incentives. Before you purchase/lease the property or begin construction, please review the attached information sheet and contact the Tinley Park Economic Development Division at (708) 444-5170 for more information.

Begin the Change of Use/Owner Application Process
A Change of Use Application is for businesses leasing a previously occupied commercial or industrial space or purchasing an existing business or property. A Change of Use/Owner Application must be completed and submitted to the Building Division for review before a lease or sale is complete to ensure the basic zoning criteria has been met. The fee for this application is $50. Please contact the Building Division at (708) 444-5100 if you have any questions.

Set up inspection

After receiving the completed Change of Use permit application, the Building Division will call to set up an inspection date. The inspection will be conducted by the Village's building, plumbing, electrical, public works, planning, fire prevention and health (if applicable) inspectors. It is recommended that the business owner, the current property owner/management company and, ideally, the general contractor are present for the inspection.

The inspectors must have access to the utility room, especially if leased space is within a strip mall or multi-tenant building. These inspections will provide the potential lessee/buyer with a list of any code violations or repairs necessary to bring the property up to code. This information is usually important in the negotiations of a contract or lease. A list of basic items reviewed by inspectors follows.


  • Restroom accessibility, grab bars, lavatory guards and placard; existing bathroom exhaust vented directly to the outdoors
  • Furnace and hot water tank may be required to be serviced by a licensed HVAC contractor
  • Commercial kitchen hood exhaust serviced and cleaned by qualified contractor; documentation required for re-inspection
  • Accessibility of cash counter for mercantile and food service business
  • Restaurant floor plan to include table and chair layout
  • Building permits required for any proposed renovations and for all mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) renovations


  • All electrical outlets within six feet of open water shall be GFCI protected
  • All existing electrical outlets and lighting must be functional
  • All existing electrical not being used must be removed
  • Extension cords may not be used for appliances
  • Electrical panel must have complete, typed panel schedule


  • Required fixtures in bathrooms and other areas requiring plumbing; ADA compliant, tempering valves for lavatory faucets
  • Required backflow prevention devices on potable water supply, ice machines, coffee and soda dispensing machines, etc.
  • Installation of approved working expansion tanks on hot water heaters; installation of atmospheric relief vents if required
  • Required floor or slop sinks
  • Inspecting for non-compliant saddle or illegally tapped devices

Health (food establishments)

  • Number of hand sinks and supplies (hot/cold water, soap, and paper towels)
  • Number of refrigerators and freezers operating at appropriate temperature
  • Proper installation of three compartment sink or dish washer with proper sanitizer and test strips
  • Certified food handler
  • Food safety tools such gloves, hair restraints, sanitizer, test strips, thermometer
  • Copy of Illinois Department of Public Health Food Safety and Sanitation Manager certificates
  • Evaluation of any changes, including addition or removal of equipment, being made to the kitchen
  • Menu


  • Signage (permanent, temporary, and window signs)
  • Landscaping
  • Parking lot (size of spaces, striping, potholes, cracks, etc.)
  • Dumpster enclosure
  • Miscellaneous issues such as no sidewalks, trash on the site, alley dedication, etc.

Public Works

  • Attached ground wire on water meter
  • Certified RPZ or double check valve; paperwork attached to the device; if no protection (RPZ or double check) determine if one is needed

Fire Prevention

  • Ensure adequate means of egress
  • Ensure proper fire protection and fire alarm
  • Evaluate occupancy hazards and processes that may require a permit as identified in adopted codes
  • Proper contact information; location is properly addressed (location and size)
  • Evaluate modifications or alterations to the space
Review your inspection letter
Once this inspection is complete, the Village will send a letter containing all required corrections and/or code violations found to the applicant and current building/business owner. Some corrections may require a building permit. The property owner and/or tenant will be responsible for making the necessary improvements to any outstanding conditions prior to receiving a Certificate of Occupancy. In some cases, a Temporary or Conditional Certificate of Occupancy may be issued along with due dates for completion of bringing outstanding items up to code.

Submit request for Certificate of Occupancy
Upon completion of any inspection report corrections, call the Building Division for re-inspection. Once the final inspection is complete, and pending any further corrections, the Village will issue a Certificate of Occupancy for the business and/or building, along with a Tinley Park business license (if applicable).

If remodeling, submit a building permit request
If you are doing extensive remodeling, a building permit is required. Permits must be issued prior to starting any remodeling or additions. Plans submitted for permit should include all corrections contained in the inspection report letter. Please note that moving walls likely require relocation of fire sprinkler heads, in which case Fire Protection and Alarm Permit applications will be required to be submitted with the Build-out/Interior Remodel Permit application. Following the final inspections of a remodel, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued (if applicable). At the Building Commissioner’s discretion, architectural stamped and signed plans may be required depending on the extent of work involved.

Review current codes

The Village of Tinley Park has updated its building codes to conform to International Code Council standards. These standards were approved on November 1, 2022

Buildings will also need to be in compliance with the following:

  • 2021 International Building Code
  • 2021 International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwelling including Appendix F
  • 2021 International Mechanical Code
  • 2021 International Fuel Gas Code including Appendix A
  • 2021 International Fire Code including Appendix B and D
  • 2021 International Property Maintenance Code
  • 2012 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code
  • 2017 National Electric Code (NEC).

Obtain a business license
Complete and submit a business license application at any time during the Change of Use/Change of Owner process or Building Permit application process. Please return the completed business license application to the Village Clerk’s Office, located at the main entrance of Tinley Village Hall, 16250 S. Oak Park Ave. Questions may be directed to (708) 444-5000.

Begin signage permit process
A sign permit application is required for any permanent and/or temporary Signage. A sign permit is required for changes to any monument sign, wall sign and/or window sign. Sign regulations can be found within the Village of Tinley Park Zoning Ordinance. If a wall sign is being added, the sign band area on the facade of the building must be repaired/repainted upon installation of a new sign. If the site has signage that does not meet current codes, it will have to be removed or altered to meet current codes. If the business owner would like to display temporary banners for special sales or events, a Temporary Sign Permit must be obtained from the building department prior to displaying the temporary signs.

Check the Village website for more information
This is a good time to sign up for the Village’s Noteworthy News newsletter for businesses to receive important information and resources. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call the Village at (708) 444-5100.  We’re glad you’re here!