Residential Building Permits
Whether you’ve just built a new home or moved into an older home, the day may come when you want to add to or improve your property. When this time comes, the question always arises … do I need a Residential Building Permit?
And, of course, our answer is that you should check with the Building division. The Village's Building Code specifically states that, “A permit shall be obtained before beginning construction, alteration, or repair …,” and this covers just about everything. However, for your own protection and best interest, it is always a good rule to check with the Building Department.
The Building Division offers two types of residential permits available to be submitted online.
Express Permits for minor repairs that do not require plan reviews such as:
- Roofing, Siding, HVAC/Furnace, Water Heater, Sewer Repair, and Plumbing.
- Additions, alterations, and new constructions
- Small improvements such as decks, fences, patios, pools, sidewalks/stoops, driveways, foundation repair, shed, etc.
- Any repair not referenced under express permitting.
Commercial/Industrial Building Permits
The Building Department would like to make construction of new commercial/industrial, mixed-use or remodeling projects as simple as possible. Plans and a Commercial/Industrial Building Permit Application will start the permit process. This application is available to be filled out online or in-person. Listed below is a checklist of plan details for each type of permit the Village may issue, as well as contractor license and bond information.
There are four types of commercial/industrial construction permits the Village may issue:
- Foundation Only (see policy linked below)
- Shell Only
- Build-Out/Interior Remodel
Please submit these plans to:
Village of Tinley Park
Attn: Building Department
16250 S. Oak Park Avenue
Tinley Park, IL 60477
A Contractor's License is required for all contractors performing work in the Village of Tinley Park. Exception: Plumbers and roofers are licensed by the State of Illinois.
However, verify a roofing contractor's state license by visiting the State of Illinois Department of Professional Regulations website. Verify a plumbing contractor's state licensed by visiting the Illinois Department of Public Health website or call 217-524-0791. Current copies of the roofing and plumbing licenses must be submitted prior to the issuance of a permit.
A letter of intent shall be included with all plumbing permit applications. The letter shall be written on the licensed plumber of record's business stationery and shall include the license holder's signature and, if the license holder is incorporated, the license holder's corporate seal. If the license holder is not incorporated, the letter must be notarized.
Effective March 1, 2013, per 225 ILCS 320/37, from Ch. 111, par. 1135 of The Illinois Plumbing License Law
Also required is a Change of Use/Owner permit for businesses acquiring a previously occupied commercial or industrial space, or acquiring an existing business or property. Before a lease or sale is complete, a Change of Use/Owner permit application must be completed and returned to the Building/Planning Department for review to ensure the basic zoning criteria has been met, and an inspection will be performed to make sure the space is up to current code. A certificate of occupancy and business license cannot be issued until this process is completed. The application fee is $50.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
Residential Building Permit Applications (PDF)22 documents
- Basement Remodel Requirements
- Brick Mailbox Installation Requirements
- Change of Contractor
- Apartment Change of Owner
- Decks, Porches, and Gazebo Permit Requirements
- Driveways, Patios, and Sidewalks Requirements
- Dumpster Enclosure Requirements
- Electric Service Upgrade Packet
- Fence Permit Packet
- Garages Detached and Attached Permit Requirements
- Generator Permit Packet
- Lawn Sprinkler Requirements
- Poultry License Application
- Poultry License Renewal Application
- Poultry Permit Packet
- Property Owner Waiver
- Residential Permit Application
- Shed Permit Requirements
- Single-Family Home (New) Permit Requirements
- Swimming Pool Permit Requirements - Above-Ground
- Swimming Pool Permit Requirements - In-Ground
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Station Requirements
Commercial/Industrial Building Permit Applications (PDF)14 documents
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Change of Contractor
- Commercial/Industrial Permit
- Contractors License
- Easement Checklist
- Erosion Control Site Grading Permit
- Fire Alarm Permit
- Fire Protection Permit
- Permanent Sign Permit
- Public Right of Way Easement
- Temporary Sign Permit
- Tent Permit Application
- Tinley Small Cell Permit Application
- Seasonal Outdoor Sales Display Application