Economic and Commercial Commission
The Economic and Commercial Commission (ECC) of the Village of Tinley Park has worked with the Mayor and Board of Trustees since 1980 to encourage well-planned economic development that broadens the tax base and enhances the quality of life in Tinley Park, Illinois. The fifteen Commission Members and Associates promote and recommend effective programs in economic development finance, marketing, business retention, and real estate maximization.
There is hereby established a citizens' commission that shall be known as the Tinley Park Economic and Commercial Commission for the purpose of structuring sound economic and commercial development policies, and of recommending the required research and inventory of resources necessary to the preparation of industrial profiles for distribution to prospective employers considering expansion or location in the Tinley Park area. The Commission will make its findings and recommendations, as appropriate, to the President and Board of Trustees, as well as other governmental agencies, upon direction.
(Ord. 80-0-046, passed 12-16-80; Am. Ord. 94-0-003, passed 1-25-94; Am. Ord. 2002-O-057, passed 9-24-02)
Goals and Objectives
- Support the Village of Tinley Park’s obligation to maintain and improve the quality of life for the community while encouraging targeted industrial, commercial and service industries to thrive in Tinley Park.
- Leverage the expertise and networks of the commissioners to retain and expand the economic base in Tinley Park by having all commissioners serve on a committee of their liking.
- Develop a program to communicate with existing businesses to identify their specific needs and support them to fill those needs within the Village of Tinley Park. Business breakfast, annual visits, newsletters, surveys, etc. could be used as vehicles to make the communication fluid between the existing businesses and the Village Staff.
- Recommend and review marketing promotional materials and make suggestions to staff to maximize impact on attracting and retaining businesses in Tinley Park. Evaluate and participate in selected events that will promote Tinley Park to targeted businesses and interests.
- Review, evaluate and make recommendations on incentive packages to attract new businesses and to retain existing businesses. Manage the approved budget of the ECC.
- Recommend direction on inventory and vacant property for potential businesses to relocate or expand within Tinley Park.
- Coordinate economic development efforts with regional economic development organizations and the Tinley Park Chamber of Commerce.
Commission Chairperson and Members
Trustee Liaison: David Seaman
Commission Chairperson: Marty Ward - Crossmark Printing
James Mohler – Municipal Employees Authority
Kathy Mahoney - The PrivateBank
Michael Leonard – First Midwest Bank
David Spedale – Standard Bank
Dennis Reidy – Cook County Assessor’s Office
Chris Shoemaker – Tinley Auto Repair
Mohammed Nofal - Langhenry, Gillen & Lundquist
Rebecca Palumbo – Rollins Palumbo Creative
Jay Walsh - Edward Jones Investments
Curt Fiedler - Morrill & Associates
Kevin Suggs - Archway Sales
Chris Verstrate - McGuire Woods
Tom Mahoney - Chamber Representative
Village Staff Liaison: Ivan Baker
Commission Secretary: Nancy Byrne
Monthly meetings will be held in the Kallsen Conference Center at the Village hall, 16250 South Oak Park Avenue, at 6:30 p.m.on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.