Cook County Incentives
Cook County offers several tax incentive programs. Class 6B, 7A and 7B programs are available to qualifying companies that locate in Tinley Park. Class 8 incentives are targeted for industrial and commercial projects locating within Bremen or Rich townships of Tinley Park, or within Duvan Industrial Park.
Each of these programs are the result of a government initiative to stimulate certain types of development. Applicants are advised that merely applying for the program will not necessarily qualify the property for participation in an incentive program. Cook County applies the "but for" test to each application. Under that test, assessing officials must be reasonably certain that the proposed project will not become a reality "but for" the existence of tax incentives.
Adhering to the Living Wage Ordinance
Any project receiving Cook County incentives must meet the requirements of the Living Wage Ordinance. The Cook County Board of Commissioners enacted the Cook County Living Wage Ordinance to establish meaningful employee compensation for lowest-wage individuals employed by a person or business entity awarded a contract or subcontract with Cook County.
Living wage means a minimum wage of no less than $11.47 per hour if employee health benefits are provided or $14.33 per hour without health benefits. The employee health benefit contribution shall not exceed 25 percent of the health insurance premium. As of Jan. 1, 2006, and each January 1 thereafter, the living wage shall be adjusted using the most recent federal poverty guidelines for a family of four as published annually by the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
All projects must be approved by the Village of Tinley Park prior to incentive review. Please contact the Tinley Park Economic Development Department at (708) 444-5030 for assistance in the incentive application process.
Available Assistance Programs
- Class 2-12 and 3-18 eligibility requirement for mixed-use buildings with apartment
- Mixed-use building owners (rental apartments plus commercial space) are eligible for a 60-percent reduction
- in property taxes
- Must be one building, one owner, one PIN number
- Building must be less than 20,000 square feet
- Must be two to six total units and no more than six total units
- One unit must be commercial, and one unit must be apartment
- No condominiums allowed
- Must be in a properly zoned area for mixed-use development
- Ordinance allows for this on Oak Park Avenue between 183rd and 159th streets
- Ordinance also allows for this on 183rd Street between Oak Park and Harlem avenues
- A building can include apartments in existing floorplan; new construction is not required
- Any addition to the building must be reviewed and approved by the Plan Commission
- Building and Planning codes must be followed
- Studio or one-bedroom apartment must be at least 800 square feet – Building Code
- Two-bedroom apartments must be at least 1,000 square feet – Building Code
- Interior apartment improvements must be approved by the Building Department
- Buildings must meet Fire Department requirements, and all mixed-use buildings must be sprinklered
- Buildings must provide for parking and landscaping requirements of Planning Department
You can bring your plans to the Tinley Park Building Department for review.
For more information, contact (708) 444-5030.
Click on the below links for more requirements, applications and more.
- Class 6B Eligibility Requirements - An incentive designed to encourage industrial development throughout Cook County. If the property is found to qualify, it will be assessed at 10 percent during the first 10 years, 15 percent during the 11th year, and 20 percent during the 12th year. The incentive is renewable every 10 years.
- Class 7A Eligibility Requirements - An incentive designed to stimulate smaller commercial development in areas "in need of commercial development." Projects or those portions of projects which qualify will be assessed at 10 percent during the first 10 years, 15 percent during the 11th year, and 20 percent during the 12th year.
- Class 7B Eligibility Requirements - An incentive designed to stimulate larger commercial developments in areas "in need of commercial development." Projects or those portions of projects which qualify will be assessed at 10 percent during the first 10 years, 15 percent during the 11th year, and 20 percent during the 12th year.
- Class 8 Eligibility Requirements - An incentive program designed to encourage development of industrial and commercial properties within certain defined areas of Cook County that meet certain economic development criteria. The incentive is only available for new construction or occupancy of vacant buildings. Developments within Bremen and Rich townships or Duvan Industrial Park may be eligible for this incentive, upon approval of the Tinley Park Village Board. If the property is found to qualify, it will be assessed at 10 percent during the first 10 years, with potential permanent renewability. Upon Village approval every 10 years, projects are eligible for permanent renewal of the tax reduction.